Dear College of Fine and Applied Arts Faculty and Staff,
On Wednesday, April 17 2019, Technology Services will be changing the program that University of Illinois employees with Apple (Mac) computers use for instant messaging, phone calls and other communication functions. Microsoft Lync for Macs is being retired and being replaced by Microsoft Skype for Business for Macs. People who use Microsoft Lync for Mac 2011 will be unable to log into Lync after 9:00 P.M. next Wednesday.
To ensure that there is no interruption in workflow, Technology Services at FAA is replacing Lync with Skype for Business on every Apple computer in the college over the weekend of April 13-15th. Skype for Business will be automatically installed on your machine and Lync will be removed. If you use a Windows computer, Skype for Business is already installed on your machine and no action need to be taken.
- To start using Skype for Business on Monday April 15th please go to your Applications folder, double click the Skype for Business icon and log in with your University of Illinois NetID/password.
Go to the Applications folder >> Open Managed Software Center (MSC) by clicking on it >> Click the “Updates” tab and MSC will show you your available updates >> if you have older pending updates >> Install the updates by clicking update then re-run MSC by clicking the “check again” button under the updates tab.
- If you have any USB Lync phones connected to your Mac, they will no longer be useable with Skype for Business. Please have your business office order USB or Bluetooth headsets to replace them. IP phones will not be affected by this change. If you would like more information about which phones will be affected and which ones will not be, please click here.
- Those with computers running Windows will be unaffected by this change.
- The Department of Dance has already been migrated. Faculty and staff within that unit do have to take any action.
- Windows computers already have Skype for Business on them. Therefore no action is required for those who have a Windows computer.
If you would like more information about the differences between Lync and Skype for Business please visit:
We appreciate your understanding. If you would like more information about this transition please visit:
For further questions please contact us via http://go.illinois.edu/faahelp or call us at 217-333-1986.