Smith Hall, Room 1 Summary
Complaint: Noise is bleeding from Room 1 to the rest of the West side of the building. Locations impacted: Jazz Offices, Larry Gray Office, Smith 103, Smith 105/107, Recital Hall, and Memorial Room.
Cause: The door on Smith 1 does not abate or reduce sound transfer. The door is a single wood construction with a single pane of glass.
Faculty/Staff: Larry Gray, William Moersch, Ricardo Flores, Joel Spencer, Nathan Mandel, Chad Wahls.
1) Keep the doors at the top of the SE stairwell closed as much as possible.
a. BSW will also help us with keeping doors closed
b. Operations will try to help keep doors closed.
c. Profs should share with their students to help establish door etiquette.
d. Operations will look into a sign for the door.
Long Term Goal and Space Committee Proposal:
1) Have door closers installed on the SE stairwell doors so they cannot be propped open as part of the Life Safety phase of Smith.
2) Look at ways to either sound proof the door or replace doors.
a. Wahls will research and get replacement quote.
3) Proposal to space committee and the Director/biz office for financing options.
Options Eliminated from Consideration:
1) Moving/swapping the room. We do not have a surplus of space or a viable option in this respect.
2) Adding sound abatement within the room. Any interior treatment would only impact the sound within the room, not sound transfer out of the room.